Chromite Exploration and Development
Chromite Exploration and DevelopmentChromite exploration and development in the Malakand Division, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP).
Alpine Podiform chromite deposits exist in MalakandDivision of KP. The deposits comprise of Podiform bodies and alpine complexes, creatingdifferent variations of chromite.Existance ofabout 206,000 tons of Cr2O3 ore deposits Malakand is indicated by preliminary studies.However, the actual reserves are expected to be much higher. aThe department of mines and minerals, therefore, is offering to lease the site for detail exploration and precise estimation to potential investors.
According to conservative estimates the chromite reserve worth approximately USD 60 million. These resource estimates have been made from a review of Sarhad Development Authority (SDA) and Pakistan Mineral Development Corporation(PMDC) data and from field reconnaissance that a total of 206,000 tons of Cr2O3 ore is reported in the area. The steel-gray, hard and brittle metal with an amazing resistance to sullying and having a very high melting point makes chromite an important element of the steel industry. The most common uses of chromite in the form of stainless steel products include; wires, bars, sheets, plates, coils, cookware, cutlery, surgical instruments, appliances, industrial equipment, sugar refineries, aerospace, automotive, storage tanks, tankers.
Extracted chromite can be exported to some of the biggest importers present in the region which include China with imports of $1.8 billion, followed by India & Turkey with $38.4 and$ 34.9 million of chromite imports respectively.
The government of KP is facilitating investors with these measures;
- The Minerals Sector is governed through Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Minerals Policy-2014. The Relevantlaws & regulations are updated according to International Standards.
- All types of mineraltesting facilities are available in testing laboratories in Peshawar.
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Board of Investment and Trade (KPBOIT) is there to facilitate investors against any regulatory requirements.
- A comprehensive investment incentives packages are available with KP Economic Zone Development Management Company.
- The provincial government is committed to be the partner of investor by providing all the basic infrastructure so journey of development continues with no hindrances
- The Government of K-P is committed to provide competent workforce in every sector, including mine and mineral in coordination with the investors.
- The investors friendly security situation is already prevailed in the province in the current government.
- The entire sector is supported by the inspector of mines would address issues related to occupational hazards and ensure safety of workers.
- The transportation in the private sector at the competitive rates is locally available. Moreover the machinery for excavation, etc. can only be acquired on rent.
- The services of several state owned and private sector insurance companies can be availed.